Monday, May 11, 2009

Going Green | How to Study the Bible

What up?!?

I hope that you all had a great weekend and an even better Sunday night at THE YARD. I missed you all tons but had a great mini-vaca..(and NO, that is not a little cow). Anyhoo, I wanted to just give a quick update on what when down last night at THE YARD for all those who were texting or just missed it all together (like me...whoops).

How to study the Bible?? That is a good question that many of us struggle with, especially when we don't "understand" what it is saying or how it "applies" to us. I know that for me, it took a quite a long time to get to a place where I began to feel confident about what I was reading and if I could apply it to me life. Since most of us feel this way, let's talk about some ways to overcome these reasons {excuses} for not reading the bible and try to build a little confidence.

#1
Start by placing 3 bookmarks in our bible.[you have 3 by now, I gave them to you]. Take the bookmarks and put them in the beginning of Genesis, Job & Luke. Then each day read one page from each of these. It is really cool how in just a few weeks you will begin to put the whole story that the bible is telling all together. Try it, it is really cool.

#2
Once you start to read out of each of these books, make sure you are following these guide lines. Always read complete thoughts, complete paragraphs and if necessary complete chapters then books. Try not to close your eyes, turn the pages until you jam your finger in the middle and then see where it lands and be convinced that is what God wanted you to hear. Trust me, it doesn't work.

#3
Then, as you have begun reading and are not doing random finger jam on the poor little bible pages, think through these 5 points with each section you read to see if there is something more that meets the eye.
S- sin to confess -- ask yourself if it brings us anything you should confess to God
P- promise to claim -- did God make a promise that can bring us hope and we can claim
A- attitude to change -- do we have a bad/wrong attitude about anything
C- command to obey -- does God mention a command that we should follow or obey
E- example to follow -- is there something that Christ does that we should be doing also

I hope that this will jump start some of you taking daily time to read your bible. I know that at first glance it seems really overwhelming but it just takes time and some effort. I promise if you give some effort you will reap what you sow. Have a great day. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment